[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Watchtower v3

To: "freeciv development" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Watchtower v3
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:33:44 +0200

Hi!

> > > I made the values watchtower_vision and watchtower_extra_vision global
> > > (inside the game struct) and made them changeable by wtowervision
(def:2
> > > min:1 max:3) and wtowerevision (def:0 min:0 max:2). I also made the
> > > descriptions, I don't know if it's understandable for only-players.
> > I really recommend to put this in the rulesets instead server variables.
> Aah, please don't. It took me 2 hours to find out how to make this stuff
> to become changeable by the server. ;-)

Hmm...maybe, but to do this in the rulesets you need to change only
server/rulesets.c, commons/packets.c, client/packhand.c. You also should add
the new tech flags to client/helpdata.c and write the changed meaning of
fortresses in the helpdata.txt (see this as a comment to your patch)

> No, but really, why? Of course I'm willing to change it, but not w/o
> reason. Probably there is a good reason, but I'd like to know why I do
> stuff.

IMO it belongs there because rulesets were created for this. Sorry that I
have no better explanation. I simply think this is rule of the game not an
option. Also there could be somewhen more than only one such a tech, if
modpacks writer needs them. It is easier for them to maintain this in the
ruleset.

bye,
Sebastian Bauer