[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Watchtower v3

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: swk@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Sebastian Bauer <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Watchtower v3
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:19:33 +0200

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:40:26AM -0400, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> [snip lots of stuff]
>
> > My opinion on the other discussion: In the long term I would also like
> > to see rulesets just as a preset server variables. Each ruleset
> > variable/server variable/property is protected by a certain cmdlevel.
> >
> > To get structure I would propose a java properties like syntax:
> >
> > units.unit_worm_riders.name="Worm Riders"
> > units.unit_worm_riders.obsolete_by="unit_armorname"
> > units.unit_worm_riders.attack=6
> > units.unit_worm_riders.defend=2
> > units.unit_worm_riders.move=3
> >
> > Note: the string "unit_worm_riders" doesn't matter. It can also be
> > "unit56".
> >
> > It is easy to understand and parse. It allows arbitrary complex nested
> > structures.
> >

> This is awfully bulky, especially to be typed in at command line
> (especially to be typed in at the command line, especially for players
> without readline).  What about a varient using the javascript (maybe java
> too) syntax like this?
>
> with units.worm_riders{
>       name="Worm Riders"
>       obsolete_by=armor
>       attack=6
>       defend=2
>       move=3
> }

Can this really be typed easier? The java property syntax is perfect
for just changing some settings. An in addition to this we can add a
-r command line option to the client.

> If the user wants, still allow specifying the whole thing each time, but
> it isn't required.  There should also be a delete command:
>
> with units{
>       delete transport
>       delete cruiser
>       delete aegis_cruiser
>       delete battleship
> }

del units.worm_riders

> and a flush command:
>
> flush techs
>
> for creating a new set from scratch.

Do you mean flush or clear here?

> Wishlist features would include wildcards
>
> units.*.fp=1
>
> and arithmetic
>
> units.destroyer.move+=1
>
> but these are a little way off ;).

Nice.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Last year, out in California, at a PC users group, there was a demo of