[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Watchtower v3

To: swk@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Sebastian Bauer <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Watchtower v3
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:47:05 +0200

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:12:33PM +0200, Bert Buchholz wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:15:08AM +0200, Sebastian Bauer wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > I made the values watchtower_vision and watchtower_extra_vision global
> > > (inside the game struct) and made them changeable by wtowervision (def:2
> > > min:1 max:3) and wtowerevision (def:0 min:0 max:2). I also made the
> > > descriptions, I don't know if it's understandable for only-players.
> >
> > I really recommend to put this in the rulesets instead server variables.
>
> Aah, please don't. It took me 2 hours to find out how to make this stuff
> to become changeable by the server. ;-)
>
> No, but really, why? Of course I'm willing to change it, but not w/o
> reason. Probably there is a good reason, but I'd like to know why I do
> stuff.

My opinion on the patch: The current use of server variables it ok for
me since it is a new feature and people should be allowed to easily
play with it. Otherwise I see no problem with the patch and I will put
it on my to-be-applied-soon list.

My opinion on the other discussion: In the long term I would also like
to see rulesets just as a preset server variables. Each ruleset
variable/server variable/property is protected by a certain cmdlevel.

To get structure I would propose a java properties like syntax:

units.unit_worm_riders.name="Worm Riders"
units.unit_worm_riders.obsolete_by="unit_armorname"
units.unit_worm_riders.attack=6
units.unit_worm_riders.defend=2
units.unit_worm_riders.move=3

Note: the string "unit_worm_riders" doesn't matter. It can also be
"unit56".

It is easy to understand and parse. It allows arbitrary complex nested
structures.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I do feel kind of sorry for Microsoft. Their attornies and marketing