[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The merit of a WatchTower

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The merit of a WatchTower
From: Bert Buchholz <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:23:59 +0200

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 04:53:58PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
>  --- Roy Tate <roy_tate@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [Real Subject: The merit of a WatchTower]
> >
> > We already have the ability to build a Fortress,
> > why not make it so that a fortress improves a
> > unit's vision after the invention of Astronomy
> > (which perhaps allows telescopes).

I like this idea quite a lot, it seems very reasonable. I think, in
connection with borders, there open up completely new ways of strategy.

> I think it's a very good solution for the first time.
> What do you think, Bert, are you still up to it?
>
> Personally, I promise to have a look at your patch, although my opinion
> might not count as much.

Well, yes, I'm still up to it, reading at least the list. I think, this
is a good idea, the problem seems to me, that even though it might be a
good idea (which is of course open for discussion), my voice won't count
too much. If the core developers don't like the idea of a watchtower
that works like a fortress (walk in and you get better sight, no matter
what nation you are from). Everything else would be unrealistic, you can
walk into fortresses and get a defense-bonus, so why should this be
different to watchtowers? I can't see any good reason.

But as I said, I suppose, you must be one of the core developers to get
things done the way you think they are right, no matter how good your
argumentation is. If they don't like your idea, you don't stand a
chance. Well, that's my impression, might of course be wrong.

Anyway, I won't go on programming unless these basic things are clear,
like how is the watchtower handled, who may use and build it, or is
there no watchtower at all, just enhaced fortresses and all that stuff.
It makes no sense to programm something and afterwards it's said that
this is not the way it should be. I think that's the lesson I learned
:-)

Bert