[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Corecleanup patch update with alternate map topologie

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Corecleanup patch update with alternate map topologies
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:27:53 -0400

At 09:51 PM 01/08/13 +0100, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
[...]
>We don't seem to be communicating; the reason that I want a patch
>against current CVS is that I want a patch that is easy to read.  I
>note that your patch includes my tidying2.diff, which I applied to CVS
>some time ago.

I'm not sure I understand why an update to Thursday's 1.12.0 is that
much more difficult to read than the same update to CVS? I can merge into
current CVS and then diff against that, but apart from a few lineno changes,
most things will drop out.

>Also, though it may be a bit late to say this, it is usually better to
>come up with a series of smaller patches than one big patch.  It is a
>lot easier to evalute them that way.

But I've been telling you that this is *not* a little patch, and you don't
want to do some of the things piecmeal. I think you need to consider this
one a bit differently to the usual localized bugfix of 20 lines or so.

There are 300K of diffs when expanded, and probably ~3000 lines of code
changes. Many of the "tidying" operations you are doing are done or
obsolete. I could probably send you the diff blocks for some of these
one by one, but once you start getting into the newer iteration macros
you are going to need bigger chunks of map.h or city.h to go along with it.

That is why I suggest you apply it to a fresh build area, run it, hack it,
decide what you like and don't like, and then maybe when you start looking
at the niggly details in the 300K diff they won't be quite so overwhelming
:-).

Or maybe you will decide you just don't like some of the features, and
then it won't matter if the diff's never get looked at.

I suggest you patch and read the documentation in map.h first. It will
probably provoke a storm of objections, which we can start resolving and
push through into code. When things have passed the first round or too of
objections, fixes and denials you probably want to do the low level
evaluation for a CVS checkin. I think CVS checkin is a ways off.

>--
>Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
>Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

Personally, I think that the biggest feature of the current patch is that
it can be played with. It shows Freeciv is not really that fragile or
unstable, and one is not too far off having a lot of fun new things to play
with. It isn't *that* big of a diff compared to the whole of Freeciv.

Even if chucked in its entirety and rebuilt the way people think it should
be done, you know you are only a week or two away from doing that.

Cheers,
RossW