[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scrollbars [patch]

To: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel Speyer <Daniel_Speyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scrollbars [patch]
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:18:43 -0500

you've got a gtk problem in your patch. It's spewing GTK-CRITICALs.

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 05:31:15AM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
> Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > mouse, I want the map to stop moving _now_. Not in a second, but
> > right then.
>
> Okay.  I think I've figured out how to make this happen.  Try the
> patch I've supplied below and let me know what you think.

yes, this patch seems to have solved this, which is good, but you haven't
solved my concerns that it takes ~10sec to move any distance on the map and
it's still choppy. I think that until these latter concerns are addressed, it
should not be applied. I do like the idea of doing a scroll on right button
press, with a center_map on right click. That seems elegant to me. It addresses
economy of mouse movement, precision, with (i think) fewer lines of code. I
believe that GTK will register events outside the gtk_window (i.e. is you end
the button press off the civclient window, GTK will handle it correctly,
someone correct me if I'm wrong).

-mike