[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scrollbars [patch]

To: "Daniel Speyer" <Daniel_Speyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scrollbars [patch]
From: "Luke Lindsay" <luke.lindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 15:58:25 +0100

> Here is my proposed fix to the isometric scrollbar bug.  It does away with
> the scrollbars entirely and replaces them with eight buttons.  This is,
> IMO, much more than scrollbars.  It also solves the difficulty I
> had when I first began using isometric of matching what happens on the big
> and small maps.

Could I chip in and add a suggestion?

IMHO, a more elegant  solution would be a system like that used in
black&white.  The user would click on an empty tile and drag the mouse to
scroll the view.  The map would scroll so that the tile the user started
dragging on would stay beneath the mouse cursor as they dragged the mouse.
For long distance moves, the user would use the map overview.

The advantages of this are:
1    The screen real estate used by the buttons/scroll bars is reclaimed.
2    You can scroll in any direction, not just up/down, left/right,
+diagonal.
3    It is more powerful than centring the map because the user is given
continuous feedback instead of having to make a mental calculation to
determine where to click to get the desired view.

anyway, just my thoughts,

Luke Lindsay