Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Gettext tells me that en_GB and ja

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Gettext tells me that en_GB and ja needs some ...
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:15:51 +0200

Am Mittwoch,  4. Juli 2001 23:10 schrieben Sie:

> > The proper fix is to change the source to read "Dunedain" and then
> > add a comment encouraging the translator to use "ú" if that
> > character is available in the charset that is being used.  I'll get
> > working on it.
>
> I have a working patch which does this.  However, as Katsuya pointed
> out, polish.ruleset also contains some 8-bit characters.  If my
> knowledge of Russian carries over to Polish in this case, the words
> involved are simply `King' and `Queen'.
>
> In my opinion ruler titles like this shouldn't be given in the
> language in question.  Instead, ruler titles should be given in
> English, and then it should be up to each translator to come up with
> appropriate translations.  (polish.ruleset is not the only nation
> ruleset that is like this, but it's the only one with 8-bit
> characters.)
>
> What do other people think?

Think you are right. Additionally, native ruler titles are nearly
impossible to translate.

> An example of the way I think it should be: the Russian male monarch
> is called "Czar" in russian.ruleset.  no.po translates this as
> "Tsar". ru.po would want to use the Russian cyrillic equivalent, etc.
> etc.

BTW: Does it give any problems to use non-ASCII in rulesets for
ruler *names* and city names?

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *