Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Gettext tells me that en_GB and ja

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Gettext tells me that en_GB and ja needs some ...
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:56:57 +0200

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Am Mittwoch,  4. Juli 2001 23:10 schrieben Sie:
>> An example of the way I think it should be: the Russian male
>> monarch is called "Czar" in russian.ruleset.  no.po translates this
>> as "Tsar". ru.po would want to use the Russian cyrillic equivalent,
>> etc.  etc.
>
> BTW: Does it give any problems to use non-ASCII in rulesets for
> ruler *names* and city names?

I was trying to deal with string marked for translation that contain
non-ASCII characters, since this poses an immediate practical problem.
But yes, you're right--non-ASCII in Freeciv is a problem in general
for everyone who doesn't use ISO-8859-1 as their charset.

I think that we do want to use non-ASCII characters for city names and
so on.  The only solid solution is to use some universal codeset,
i.e. Unicode/ISO 10646.  With things like libiconv and libcharset we
finally have a means to do this nicely and portably.  However, this
idea needs a lot more thought and planning before it can be put to
life.  It is definitely post next release stuff.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
..I'll make you an ASHTRAY!!