Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?
From: alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxx (Alan Schmitt)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:47:14 +0200

I think that religion is the social expression of faith. Faith is
individual, and may correspond to a belief in a higher order. Religion
is social, in the sense that it involves several (or many) people in
some kind of organization, with its laws and customs. As such,
religion is much influenced by the social context in which it takes
place (this is how I understand how one religion may change so much
between different times).

To go back to freeciv, this looks quite a bit like the "culture"
proposal for civ3. I think it's a good idea to model different social
cultures, with all the misunderstandings different cultures may bring
(trade malus ? ;-). I'm not so sure about basing all this just on
religions.

Just my 0.02 euros ;-)

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.