Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?
From: "Daniel Speyer" <Daniel_Speyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:57:51 -0400

I'm not convinced this is a good idea, but just to flesh it out some and
see what people think...

Each religion requires a technology (except animism) and a period of
conversion (analogous to a revolution).  You automatically get embassies
with every civilization of your religion that you've contacted, except
where otherwise marked.  Each religion also has certain advantages/costs.

#ifndef _EASILY_OFFENDED_

Technology              Religion                Special features
Justification
None                    Animism         No embassies            You start with
this
None                    Turmoil                 -5% tax         This is during
a switch (the tax penalty is
because of fringe groups eating up resources)
Ceremonial Burial       Shamanism               +1% science             Because
Shamans bring ideas from
place to place and mix things around
Literacy                Confucianism            +3% science
Emphasis on learning
                                                -10% corruption importance of
good rulers
Mysticism               Taoism                  +2 food in every city
beginnings of medicine -- maybe
someone can come up with something better?
Polytheism              Hinduism                +1 unhappysize  Stable social
structure upholds
government
Monarchy                Nationalism             +1 unhappysize  The government
is divine
                                                no unhappy mil units
fighting for it is good
                                                -1% science
thinking for yourself is bad
                                                no embassies            it's
not really one religion
Republic                Freedom of Religion     embassy with all        There's
some of everything
practiced
                                                -1 unhappysize  All those
different religions cause friction
Philosophy              Buddhism                +2 unhappysize  Emphasis on
non-violence prevents
rioting
                                                no happy mil units      but
also warfare
Monotheism              Judiasm         +5% science             emphasis on
learning
Theology                Christianity            +2 unhappysize  support for
authority
                                                -2% science
conflict with scholars
Democracy               Humanism                immune to famine
nobody's allowed to *starve*
Economics               Capitalism              +10% tax
everyone makes so much more money
                                                -2% science             and so
many more patent laws
Communism               Authoritarian Atheism   automatic w/ Communism  that's
how it was
                                                +1 unhappysize  attacking the
government is evil
                                                -1% science
prohibition of counter-revolutionary philosophies (e.g.
Mendelianism)
                                                no embassies            It's
not really one religion
Computers               Discordianism           randomly gives +[1-7]% science
each turn        You
want it should make sense?
Robotics                Church of Emacs 0 fogofwar              What?!?! You
say emacs doesn't find
enemy armies?!?!? Blasphemer!!!!!!!!
University(?)           Islam                   gives embassy w/ Jew +
Christian        Tradition of
religious tolerance
                                                +2% science
tradition of learning
Medicine                Psychoanalysis          +1 unhappysize  'Don't riot,
just go to therapy'
                                                -1% science
Everyone is entitled to his own theory, independent of
evidence
Fusion Power            toy-worship             +3 unhappysize  It's got to be
good for
something!

#endif /* _EASILY_OFFENDED_ */

This is all sort of tenative, and Islam and Taoism are very random (I
thought they should be included).  Something should be added for Labor
Union, and maybe Code of Laws.  Shinto should be somewhere.  I really
don't mean to offend anybody; I'm sorry if I have.  I also have no idea
how to implement this -- mostly server-side I guess.

Just my US$.02, maybe a little more
--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"