Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?

To: Daniel Speyer <Daniel_Speyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: grzes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Religions in freeciv?
From: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:40:27 +1000 (EST)

> >Just alittle side note here guys, Confucian theory is not a
> >religion it is
> >a practise. You don't worship Confucious. I think of the other
> >ones in
> >there are also not really religions at all. Gotta be very
> >careful where
> >you tread in this, for example if you start calling
> >confucianism a
> >religion, then to are all the little cults that spring up also
> >religions.
>
> It's hard to give a good definitionof religion.  The best I can come up
> with is a set of fundamental (i.e. unjustified) beliefs that apply to
> one's long-range purpose in life.  Confucianism certainly fits this
> description.  More importantly, it can be used as an official national
> religion (I think the Ming did this, among others).  As to not worshipping
> Confucious, Jews don't worship Judah ;), Buddhists don't worship Buddha
> (at least, not if I understand Buddhism), Shamanists don't worship
> shamans, humanists don't worship at all -- religions don't have to be
> about worship.  As to little cults, do they come smaller than the Church
> of Emacs?

This is where I don't think you are correct. To my knowledge Budism is not
a religion either, nor indeed are 'Shamanists'. You must understand the
definition (as I understand it) of a religion is, the worship of a higher
being to gain salvation etc etc. A religion offers people a belief in a
higher order, a cult/law is something which offers a way of life. Buddism
teaches people to create a better society (in theory...) as too does
confucism. They can be classed similar to that of todays legal system,
they are a way of life which people can accept to follow. Therefore, you
CANNOT call these things religions as they are not. I am NOT saying you
shouldn't put them in freeciv, I think the idea has alot of merit.. what I
am saying is that if you do you should throughly consider the exact
terminology. Using the word religion has a specific meaning.. you don't
worship sharman as higher beings offer forgiveness.. because they aren't.

dnh

I hope you catch my drift here =)