Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Re(2): Re: Religions in freeciv?

To: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Re(2): Re: Religions in freeciv?
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:18:49 -0500

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:42:00AM +1000, dnh wrote:
> Hmm interesting point there, I don't think you can call atheism a religion
> =). Infact atheism isn't really anything, its a belief in not believing I
> think, so is that a belief? or not? ;)

        Atheism simply stated is the belief that no gods exist.
Agnosticism states that the question cannot be answered in any useful form.
While frequently confused, they are separate beliefs.

        Atheists are quite free to beleive in other alien beings, they just
don't ascribe to them mystical powers, creation myths, etc.  They're also
quite free to follow the dictates of The Golden Rule, most of the Ten
Commandments, and many other pillars of various religions, because many of
these simply do not rely upon the existence of a god to be good ideas.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."