[Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG/PATCH: Overproduction problems (PR#670)

To: zamar-fc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG/PATCH: Overproduction problems (PR#670)
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:04:15 -0800 (PST)

Joona Kiiski <zamar-fc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, maybe I should explain a bit what my patch does.

Thanks :-)

> It has no effect when you are normally building things.
> The penalty is counted before new shields are added to stock.

Ah, that sounds better, indeed.  So, if you change production to
something which costs less than the current shield stock, then
you are (or will be, at the next turn) penalised (by half the
excess of the shield stock over the cost).

Hmm, so if you are almost finished building Airport (150/160),
and then change to Temple(40), and then back to Airport once
the Temple is finished, you suffer, losing 55 shields.  Or
similarly Stealth Bomber(160) to Rifleman(40) and then back to
Stealth Bomber.  Maybe that's ok, but the original issue seemed
to be largely about "evading" the production change type penalty,
so I'm not sure...

Also, if you are almost finished building Airport and change
to Rifleman, you suffer twice!  Lose 75 on change, then an
extra 18 on overproduction when build Rifleman.  Again, maybe
ok, but not clear to me.

So however this is implemented, it would definitely be nice
for it to be well documented somewhere!  (Probably in the help
system.)

> Let's take few examples:
<examples snipped>

> COULD YOU PLEASE READ MY PATCH!

Well I did, but (through no fault of yours), the diff by itself
didn't seem to provide enough context for me to see what was
happening, and I was too lazy to go look at the source. :-)

> Put it in CVS unless you have better
> solution to this problem (and you are willing to code it ;)).

Well, I personally am not doing CVS nor coding at the moment, but
thats ok since this discussion is currently at the stage of "what
should the rule be", rather than "how should it be implemented".

Regards,
-- David