[Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: Advanced City Name Generation (version 2)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: Advanced City Name Generation (version 2)
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:43:29 +0100

Hi,
The patch yesterday was the proof of concept. With this patch, city name
generation will work just as great as with the last one, but the code is
cleaner. I removed unneeded stuff, fixed the copyright notices (I hope), and
optimized memory usage. Now a namer is loaded from a file to memory only when
a client requests a city name suggestion from that namer.

Now the patch needs testing. Please TELL ME if it works on your systems. (And
if it doesn't!)

INFO:
=====

Patch against: CVS of today.

Download from:
<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/citynames-2.diff.bz2>

Usage:
* bunzip it
* read it through
* apply it
* automake
* configure
* make
* civ & ser
* connect, start game, select nation (suggestion: try one of Swedish, German,
Italian and English, they have the advanced namers). Take a settler and
request some city name suggestions. If you want a lot of suggestions, don't
press OK, press Cancel and repeat. You will notice that the same names won't
come back again. Now take a look at the namer files in data/nation. Maybe you
can write a grammar namer in YOUR langage? (I did!) If you do, don't forget
to submit it to Xconq too. A great feature introduced by this patch is the
total namer file compatibility between Xconq and Freeciv.

Erik Sigra