[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:32:48 +0100

On Friday 19 January 2001 19:34, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 07:27:48PM +0100, Thue wrote:
> > > The biggest negative change I noticed was as it were already slow (on
> > > my Pentium 130Mhz, resolution 1024x768), so it now slowed down again.
> > > It tooks about 2-5 seconds to update the map when moving on it
> > > (clicking minimap/map).
> >
> > Buy a faster computer! :) It is somewhat acceptable on my celeron 400.
> > No, there is some fairly easy improvements that can be made.
> > But it will always be 2-3 time slower than normal view.
> > I also have a feeling that the imlib lib is a bit slow. Didn't rasterman
> > say imlib2 were a good deal faster on this very list?
> > The optimizations I can are:
> > -predraw some ofter used combinations like
> > --road combinations
> > --rail combinatins
> > --rivers, forrest, hills, mountains onto base terrain
> > --perhaps a few specials can be predrawn onto their target
> > -FoW is drawn by first drawing the gfx and then drawning every second
> > pixel black. It would be nicer if we just put the black pixels when we
> > drew in the first place...

> > Slightly updated version at
> > http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/isomet.diff.bz2
> > (map grid fix and changed FoW drawing)
>
> Now it seems to be quite a bit faster (it takes about 2 seconds while it
> took up to 5 seconds last time). That will say that it's now again playable
> even with my computer.

Hu? I didn't optimize it since the last patch. But yes, it is faster at my
computer too. Must be the GNOME I installed teasing me. (ok, sorry)

Anyway, here is an updated patch which:
-corrects some bugs in the redraw
-show isolated road/rail
-shows city tile production on main map ("t" key)
-always show city production on top in city map
-the goto line is faster. It is still slow, but I consider it "fast enough"
now. It can still be optimized, however...

You need to apply the waypoint patch first.
http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/waypoint.diff.bz2
Then apply the isomet patch
http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/isomet.diff.bz2
Then execute
"autoheader && autoconf && automake && ./configure --with-isometric"
And then you can execute
"make"

-Thue