[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:55:50 +0100

On Sunday 14 January 2001 21:50, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> Very, very cool patch again from you! I tried it (just cause I'm curious)
> and it worked as fine it was supposed to..

Thanks.

> Firstly it was nice to notice your implementation to make it compatible
> with former overhead mode.
>
> About minimap:
> It's a bit confusing that when you move left on minimap, you don't move
> left on big map. The way this was implemented in Micro$ofts Age of Empires
> was that the world was in the form of diamond instead of rectangle (rotated
> 45 degrees). Would it be good if our minimap was drawn that way?

That can be done, but is a low priority for me since the current one actually
works :).

> > It uses tilesets largely compatible with civ 2. (main change: I hade all
> > the background colors transparent.)
> > The tileset shown in the screenshots below is HiRes, contributed under
> > the GPL by Tim Smith.
>
> It says nowhere that is GPL'd, in contrast it says that you cannot
> distribute modified file! I think that if T. Smith has announced those
> under GPL it should be shown in tileset files also.

I removed the "do not distribute warnings" for now; we can add some GPL text
later. I just haven't gotten around to it.

> > Some screenshots: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HTML/001035.html
> > (the apolyton forum was practical since lots of people there have messed
> > with the isometric graphics. And I get to recruit civ2 users.)
> >
> > Source code: http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/isomet.diff.bz2

An updated version is there.

> > What needs to be done:
> > -restore overhead view functionality to gui-gtk/mapview.c. Currently the
> > overhead mode is ifdef'ed, but it should be possible to make it a
> > load-time option (automatically determined by an option in the loaded
> > tiles.) -make the city view work
> > -mess with flags, unit activities, city sizes etc.
> > -implement map grid, other map features
> > -implement FoW (I think this is easiest done using stripping of some
> > sort) -scrollbar bug because of old code; currently marked by FIXME
> > -graphics related to city combat (note the new explosion that came with
> > the tiles)
> > -modify freeciv to be able to use the new city styles.
> > -redraw bug related to unit movement. (bug place marked by FIXME)
> > -redraw bug related to generel tile refresh. (bug place marked by FIXME)
>
>  -City walls are not shown.

Should work now, as well as most of the other items.

-Thue