[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:27:48 +0100

> The biggest negative change I noticed was as it were already slow (on my
> Pentium 130Mhz, resolution 1024x768), so it now slowed down again. It tooks
> about 2-5 seconds to update the map when moving on it (clicking
> minimap/map).

Buy a faster computer! :) It is somewhat acceptable on my celeron 400.
No, there is some fairly easy improvements that can be made.
But it will always be 2-3 time slower than normal view.
I also have a feeling that the imlib lib is a bit slow. Didn't rasterman say
imlib2 were a good deal faster on this very list?
The optimizations I can are:
-predraw some ofter used combinations like
--road combinations
--rail combinatins
--rivers, forrest, hills, mountains onto base terrain
--perhaps a few specials can be predrawn onto their target
-FoW is drawn by first drawing the gfx and then drawning every second pixel
black. It would be nicer if we just put the black pixels when we drew in the
first place...

If I can get away with it I will leave it to others to optimize... :)

> Setting client goto also is noticeably slow, especially when selecting
> target to further distance.

The current implementation is a quick proff of concept kludge; easily
improved.

> Some other minor things:
> -Should irrigation, road and railroad be drawn _under_ special resources
>  (wheat, buffalo, oil etc).

Should it? How is it done in civ 2?

> -Grid outside cities (the reserved squares) should be drawn with other
> color. Also, I believe that some people will find gridline too bold (isn't
> 1 pixel line enough?)

A buglet.

> -'t'-command (show resources used by city) is not implemented  (There seem
> to be a FIXME)

That is correct...

Slightly updated version at
http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/isomet.diff.bz2