[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isometric view
From: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:50:02 +0200

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 04:51:57PM +0100, Thue wrote:
> I will just mention that I have been playing a bit with isometric view; it is
> by no means finished, but I can't help showing of what I have got :).
> Also, the native windows client seem to be moving forward; what better way to
> stop it than changing the basic drawing algoritms. (yes, that was a joke)

Very, very cool patch again from you! I tried it (just cause I'm curious)
and it worked as fine it was supposed to..

Firstly it was nice to notice your implementation to make it compatible
with former overhead mode.

About minimap:
It's a bit confusing that when you move left on minimap, you don't move left on
big map. The way this was implemented in Micro$ofts Age of Empires was that the
world
was in the form of diamond instead of rectangle (rotated 45 degrees). Would it
be good
if our minimap was drawn that way?

> It uses tilesets largely compatible with civ 2. (main change: I hade all the
> background colors transparent.)
> The tileset shown in the screenshots below is HiRes, contributed under the
> GPL by Tim Smith.

It says nowhere that is GPL'd, in contrast it says that you cannot distribute
modified file! I think that if T. Smith has announced those under GPL it should
be shown in tileset files also.

> I only plan to implement it in the gtk client, as I believe the intersection
> between XAW users and people who like isometric view is pretty small :).
>
> Some screenshots: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HTML/001035.html
> (the apolyton forum was practical since lots of people there have messed with
> the isometric graphics. And I get to recruit civ2 users.)
>
> Source code: http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/isomet.diff.bz2
>
> What needs to be done:
> -restore overhead view functionality to gui-gtk/mapview.c. Currently the
> overhead mode is ifdef'ed, but it should be possible to make it a load-time
> option (automatically determined by an option in the loaded tiles.)
> -make the city view work
> -mess with flags, unit activities, city sizes etc.
> -implement map grid, other map features
> -implement FoW (I think this is easiest done using stripping of some sort)
> -scrollbar bug because of old code; currently marked by FIXME
> -graphics related to city combat (note the new explosion that came with the
> tiles)
> -modify freeciv to be able to use the new city styles.
> -redraw bug related to unit movement. (bug place marked by FIXME)
> -redraw bug related to generel tile refresh. (bug place marked by FIXME)

 -City walls are not shown.

--
Terveisin   Tuomas Airaksinen        linux
Kotisivu:   http://tuma.cjb.net/      is all