Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Memory leak fixed, new version uploaded

To: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Memory leak fixed, new version uploaded
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:26:34 +0100 (CET)

Nathan Lovell writes:

 > > > The file freeciv-1.11.4-win.zip can be deleted (my internet connection
 > > > has broken down while uploading).
 > > >
 > > > I don't stop working on the native windows port (it is much faster
 > > > than the windows-gtk port).
 > >
 > > I wonder why is the windows port of gtk so slow then (fixing that bug
 > > didn't
 > > speed up it at all, I suppose)?
 >
 > Yes, I noticed that GTK is EXTREMELY slow.  Is the native windows port
 > available for testing, then?

I think the way to draw (pix/bit)-maps with masks (=Icons on windows)
is quite slow because gdk_gc_set_mask is quite complex and
slow. Compare that code with the code of DrawIcon in the wine sources.
It's much simpler. As gdk_gc_set_mask is not only used for drawing
pixmaps like in freeciv, it has to be universal and cannot be as
simple as DrawIcon.

I have put a test version at
http://home.t-online.de/home/akemnade/incomplete-win-native.zip

The diff against the original freeciv-1.11.4 sources is at
http://home.t-online.de/home/akemnade/win-native.diff.gz

It has to be cleaned up. You should be able to compile the client
using cygwin (You have to run automake, autoheader and autoconf
before). You need at least gcc-2.95.2. The following should work:

export CC="gcc -mno-cygwin"
./configure --disable-server
make

Arrgh, I have no access to that directory to upload it now. I will try
it again tomorrow.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade