Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion for freeciv.

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion for freeciv.
From: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:11:23 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 Martin_Sawitzki@xxxxxx wrote:

> 1.) terraforming, ability of settlers to build embrackments
>
> not only the Netherland do it to get more land.
> If it would be possible you could transform big golfes in new land

It's a good idea, although it would introduce some big changes... what to
do if someone pillages it, for example?  Flood the entire area?  At what
rate?  The ground left by draining could have some food bonus due to its
extra fertility from silt.

Along the same lines, if we're adding some real life man-made terrain
changes, I think a hydroelectric generating dam would be great on
rivers!  It would (of course) augment your science/revenue, and
make ownership[ of river territory even more significant.  Some
disadvantages could be loss of river tiles (flooded for
reservoir) and maybe a little eco-damage (the salmon and all that ;)
Perhaps neither of these should be available until after Hoover Dam
(That's the name of the wonder, right?)

Other issues: both of these would require "elevation", which AFAIK is not
part of civ2 (is it?)

> 2.) Satellites
> Not as a wounder, but as a selfmoving unit.
> Many Nations have satellites to take a look at their Neighbours.
> The Appoloprogramm shows all cities, but with sattelites you could see
> either all enemy units or those units which where under the satelite.
> My proposion is to build them with a view range of about 5 squares and a
> movementrate of one quarter of the map.
> You could see them crossing the world and if you had enough you will now
> more about your enemies.
This would be after the Apollo program, or before?
I think that they should either be geostationary, or move in a constant
orbit.  That's more realistic (is that what you meant?).

Camoflage would be a useful development/trait.  Hide units (maybe just
special units) from spy satelites, etc.