Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion for freeciv.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion for freeciv.
From: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:57:43 +0200

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 11:14:24AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Martin_Sawitzki@xxxxxx (Martin_Sawitzki@xxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > 1.) terraforming, ability of settlers to build embrackments
> >
> > not only the Netherland do it to get more land.
> > If it would be possible you could transform big golfes in new land
>
> Raising land from the sea?  This is possible in SMAC; it's a side effect
> of the terrain elevation model.  (Each tile in SMAC has an elevation,
> in meters.  Formers can raise and lower terrain; if any tile is more
> than 1000m higher or lower than its neighbors, the neighbors are also
> raised/lowered until balance is achieved.  If you raise a coastal tile,
> it'll be more than 1000m higher than the sea it's next to, so the sea
> tile(s) become land tiles.)

It's possible to raise land from the sea in freeciv also, go with an
engineer to a boat and command it to transform sea -> swamp.

> > 2.) Satellites
> > Not as a wounder, but as a selfmoving unit.
> > Many Nations have satellites to take a look at their Neighbours.
> > The Appoloprogramm shows all cities, but with sattelites you could see
> > either all enemy units or those units which where under the satelite.
> > My proposion is to build them with a view range of about 5 squares and a
> > movementrate of one quarter of the map.

But as you know satellites, they aren't movable as easily as other units.
They could, for example, circulate automatically around the world or just
stay still in some pre-defined place, but not to move everywhere anytime.

> Micromanaging those satellites would be a nightmare.  It's bad enough
> trying to convince myself to fly planes around on patrols looking for
> boats... would you actually *enjoy* moving this satellite unit around
> every turn?

Of course, the satellite should show big enough (but also of course not too
big)
area because it is a satellite! And as I said, I don't like an idea of
freely-movable satellite unit.

> > You could see them crossing the world and if you had enough you will now
> > more about your enemies.
>
> If a Freeciv turn lasts a year or more, it can be argued that *any*
> satellite (other than geosynchronous/equatorial orbit) will cover the
> entire globe during this period of time.
>
> > 3.) possibility to surrender.
> > The winner get's all cities and units of the loser.

Blaa, this of course is possible already in freeciv.

--
Terveisin   Tuomas Airaksinen        linux
Kotisivu:   http://tuma.cjb.net/      is all