Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:54:51 +0200

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:13:06 Erik Sigra wrote:
> Thue wrote:
> > I have added a lot of points to the TODO file. Some are obvious, but a few
> > like splitting the server to allow a graphical frontend can be
> > controversial. People should comment/object now before I apply the patch
and
> > thereby make my modifications the public freeciv opinion. :)
> > Note that some of the points are very concrete and even contains some
> > implementation hints. (did that sound like a school assignment or what?
:))

> I have started to implement this now. It is of course far from
> complete (because you didn't want any mega patches, this is just 6.4k).
>
> The most important thing is that it abstracts away the
> coordinates by replacing pairs of local variables called "x, y" with
> an abstract variable called "position". This is important because normal
> functions shoudn't care about how the coordinates work. It replaces
> occurences of "x, y - 1" with "north(position)" and so on. When
> changing coordinate system, only such functions as north() must be
> changed. Not every function that uses them. All functions that are
> aware of the lowlevel coordinates could eventually be moved to a
> separate packet if you want.
>
> This patch also starts to implement optional wrapping in both
> directions. It assumes that when a direction is not wrapped, a
> dummy row/column of tiles at both ends exists. The dummy column can
> not be entered nor uncovered. It is neccessary for correct rendering
> of the terrain in the rows/columns next to the dummy columns (most
> notably rivers). This is similar to the case where tiles next to know
> tiles are used to render terrain in known tiles but are not
> shown. Also, poles can be showed as only tiny ice borders.
>
> I don't know if I have explained clearly enough so please ask.
>
> I will continue if I get approval.
>
> > -Thue
>
> -Erik

Your implementation seems nicer than having seperate x and y coordinates, but
it would require a lot of recoding.
What I had in mind was just a small change in the bounds check of x and y at
select places, requireing small changes, not a recode. Though it would be nice,
don't really want to commit to a rewamping of all of freeciv.

-Thue