Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:13:06 +0200

Thue wrote:
> I have added a lot of points to the TODO file. Some are obvious, but a few
> like splitting the server to allow a graphical frontend can be
> controversial. People should comment/object now before I apply the patch and
> thereby make my modifications the public freeciv opinion. :)
> Note that some of the points are very concrete and even contains some
> implementation hints. (did that sound like a school assignment or what? :))

I have started to implement this now. It is of course far from
complete (because you didn't want any mega patches, this is just 6.4k).

The most important thing is that it abstracts away the
coordinates by replacing pairs of local variables called "x, y" with
an abstract variable called "position". This is important because normal
functions shoudn't care about how the coordinates work. It replaces
occurences of "x, y - 1" with "north(position)" and so on. When
changing coordinate system, only such functions as north() must be
changed. Not every function that uses them. All functions that are
aware of the lowlevel coordinates could eventually be moved to a
separate packet if you want.

This patch also starts to implement optional wrapping in both
directions. It assumes that when a direction is not wrapped, a
dummy row/column of tiles at both ends exists. The dummy column can
not be entered nor uncovered. It is neccessary for correct rendering
of the terrain in the rows/columns next to the dummy columns (most
notably rivers). This is similar to the case where tiles next to know
tiles are used to render terrain in known tiles but are not
shown. Also, poles can be showed as only tiny ice borders.

I don't know if I have explained clearly enough so please ask.

I will continue if I get approval.

> -Thue

-Erik