[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:39:03 -0400

--On Sunday, 30 July 2000 8:44 AM -0700 paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Now one to more general Freeciv.  One of the authors of this modpack
mentioned how his flag spread like a virus all over the continent.  But
this pretty much happens in every game.  The civilizations in Freeciv
aren't really "free" (as in liberty), they all end up under the iron
fist of whatever nation K is playing (If you don't know K, play on
civserver.freeciv.org sometime :).  We are creating a game where the best
strategy is to build tons of small cities so your nation can out
reproduce the other ones like rabbits.  Then create war machines and
crush them.

"So what?" you say.  And I guess I do too, to a certian extent.
However I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some thought into
looking for other ways to play the game.  I like the idea of other
types of warfare in Civ:CTP, if not the implimentation.  I like the
idea of border cities voluntarily switching sides because of economic
reasons.  I think it would even be interesting to have parts of a
cities population immigrate to another city of a border nation (I live
in San Diego, so I see this on a daily basis).

Food for thought, and hopefully a comment or two.

Well, since the Freeciv style isn't tied to the rules of any other Civ, we've got some leeway to encourage larger cities...

Maybe Temples wouldn't have upkeep costs, since they'd support themselves with donations; if this seems too powerful maybe it could be dependent on knowledge of some tech and/or usage of some government; also, Colosseums might have reduced or eliminated upkeep (ticket/concession sales?) under appropriate conditions.

The contentness-producing wonders, however, unbalance the game a little too much in favor of their owner, so as I've said before I think they (and others) should gain per-city upkeeps.

Or maybe economies of scale: large cities might have production bonuses, or small cities have production penalties (or both), since larger cities would have larger-scale, more efficient production infrastructure; this could also be done to science, on the grounds that larger cities would have more resources for researchers.

Something else I think might be unbalanced is cities' growing every turn from celebrating under certain governments. Maybe the citizens should be spoiled by this state, so for every population unit added, the number that are content by default decreases by one?

And on governments: Is the Republic really that much more powerful than Monarchy? (Same for Democracy/Communism.) Should it be? Should Republic and Monarchy really have the same amount of corruption? I tend to think of a republic as being more corruptible than a monarchy for some reason.

Just my $.04

--Jed