[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:15:28 +0200

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 12:27:04PM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
> > Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > BTW : German anti-Nazi paranoia is unique in world-scale.
> > >       Russians still have Lenin Mausoleum it prominent place of their
> > > capital.
> > >       The same with Chinese and Mao. Italians and Spanish aren't so
> > >       paranoid to prohibit games using old dictatory symbols either.
> >
> > I must point out the reason for the big difference: Germany was hit many
> > many times harder by fascism than Italians and Spanish (the Chinese are
> > still having it). The germans lost about 1/3 of their heartlands (just
> > imagine 16,000,000 refugees). Italy lost a tiny piece of land near
> > Venice. Spain lost nothing under Franco. Also, many times more Germans
> > died than Italians and Spanish.
> >
> > So don't be surprised about any difference in degree of paranoia!
>
> Yeah, but :
> a) Very most of paranoians are much younger than 50 years, so didin't live
>    during war nor just after war.
> b) What about Russians ?
>    Rusian Comunist government (Stalin, mostly) killed more people than
>    German Nazi government. If you forget about non-natives,
>    and count only Germans / Russians for a moment, it will be MUCH MUCH
>    more. And Commies were much more oppresive against common people.
>    Anyone even *thinking* about banning game because of using Commie
> symbolics ?
> c) I see NO AT ALL paranoia in Italy / Spain / Russia / China, not
>    simply much less paranoia.
> d) Are you sure with 1/3 ?
>    You are including Austria, aren't you ?

a) I guess the history is alive and carried on to new generations.

c) I'm pretty sure there is some paranoia even there. There must be
antifashists in Italy and Spain as well. I still think it is a matter of
degree.

d) If you want to make a quick approximation with a simple fraction, I
think 1/3 is fairly close. Actually (after a look at maps from after WW
1 and from the 1990s), I was not including Austria. To be specific, I
was thinking of Eastern Prussia, Eastern (and some of Western)
Pommerania, Silesia and to some degree aslo the Sudet Area (not because
it was lost by the state Germany (to which it only belonged for a short
while), but because it was lost by the Germans (about 90% of population)
who lived there).

However I agree that forbidding symbols is no good.