[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv - arcade game?

To: Robert Rendell <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv - arcade game?
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:31:18 -0400

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 12:07:00PM +1000, Robert Rendell
<rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
> I agree with Jacek that this is poor behaviour.  One alternative would be
> for diplomats and spies to dissappear once they're given the command to
> move into a city, and only reappear outside the city if the player chooses
> 'cancel', or an action that the unit survives (and which doesn't move them
> to their home city).  Another possibility would be for the unit to
> *actually* move in to the city when given that command, and *then* for the
> dialog to be initiated.  With the pacts patch in, the server and clients
> can already handle foreign units in cities... letting *non-allied* foreign
> units in to cities might require some more tweaking of the server, but not
> much, I'd imagine.  For one thing, the diplomat/spy shouldn't defend the
> city against attack (although they'd probably die if the city was conquered
> by a 3rd party).

  I really like these suggestions, and think they're much more promising than
the artificial-lag hacks being brought up..

  (the only thing is: maybe the diplomat should lose movement points on
   "Cancel"?)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx> -----------------\
|     CCs of list      |      Voodoo Programming: Things programmers do       |