[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: techtree support (PR#405)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: techtree support (PR#405)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:00:21 +0200

> My initial reaction is that, hey, this is a good idea, but there are more
> rulesets than just the tech ruleset.  While we don't need to implement all
> the output generators at this time, we may want to think about them.  Do we
> want to add 'techtree', 'unitlist', 'terrainjunk', etc... etc... commands
> to the server, or maybe just one command that takes an argument?  Something
> like:
>
>     rulesout <ruleset> <output-file>

David has the code to back up his idea so I'm all for including it.

Still, I've always hoped rulesets would evemntually turn into server
commands.  That way, they can be modified interactively, and they can
be read with 'read' and written with 'write'.  This is actually quite
similar to your idea, except the new command would be something like

  beginruleset <ruleset>
[partial or complete ruleset, inserted verbatim]
  endruleset

'set terrain' and friends would be superfluous (I don't like them):
the 'read' command would be used to include rulesets from file.

Another useful command would be

 showruleset <ruleset>

which would display the ruleset on the command line.

I can promise to do this for 1.12 if there is any interest.

--
Reinier