[Freeciv-Dev] patch: techtree support (PR#405)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: techtree support (PR#405)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 06:47:36 -0700 (PDT)

Apologies for raising a non-release issue at this time, but maybe
I can justify myself by saying that I intend to release an updated
version of 'techtree' [1], to coincide with, and suit, freeciv-1.11.0.
Since the previous version of techtree was for freeciv-1.8.0, this
is long overdue!

 [1] http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~dwp/freeciv/techtree/  (old version)

The good part is that I have thought of a good way to have techtree
be able to cope with current (and even future) ruleset files, without
copying or sharing lots of code between freeciv and techtree.  The
idea is to add a server command to freeciv, so that freeciv writes
a file with the "distilled" ruleset data needed by techtree, in a
simple and hopefully fixed format that techtree can easily read.

This scheme has a number of advantages:

 - Freeciv is very much able to read current ruleset files, and
future versions of freeciv can even be expected to be able to read
future ruleset files :-)  Ie, when formats change etc -- such changes
should hopefully not even require a new version of techtree, nor a
techtree re-compile, only a small amount of extra updating within
freeciv.

 - Freeciv is also well able to calculate the data require by
techtree, since freeciv has available all the processed data
structures related to ruleset data.

 - techtree can ignore lots of freeciv-specific stuff, and
concentrate on calculating the graph and outputing postscript.

 - If desired the intermediate file may be hand-edited, or could be
produced by some other method.  In particular, files could be hand-
produced to create tech-trees for non-freeciv games (SMAC etc?).
This approach would be easier than trying to mock-up full-size
freeciv ruleset files just to produce techtree graphs.

 - In principle it may be easy to produce techtree graphs in other
languages, using translations already made for freeciv.  (Ie, just
run the new freeciv server command using a localised freeciv.)  In
practice this doesn't work properly yet because I don't currently
know how to output postscript for non-ascii characters...?  Or maybe
its a font thing...

Attached is a patch to add a server command 'techtree' to freeciv
to produce the appropriate output.  My question is whether it would
be reasonable to put this in before 1.11.0 ?  While strictly speaking
this is a new feature, the patch is mostly fairly self-contained, and
should be unlikely to introduce bugs in other parts of freeciv...
And it would make things easier for me, and for other techtree
users :-)

Regards,
-- David