[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Watchtowers

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Watchtowers
From: "jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:04:11 -0700

        On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:47:01 +0200  Artur Biesiadowski wrote on
watchtowers.  My apologies if I've missed relevant discussion;  I've been
busy.

        Why not generalize "fortress" to include watchtowers as a variant?
This generalized item would be the "immobile unit-like structures/terrain
feature" of interest.  Heh heh heh -- maybe put "city" under that same
generalized item.  Then Settlers and Engineers could create or interchange
"watchtower" and "fortress", and later Settlers disbanding to upgrade either
at lower cost to "city".  This mimics a natural progression of many cities
in the Real World....

Pro:
* Engineer and Settler build code in place
* already being skipped, already owned
* can apply similar combat-related adds and restrictions
* no concerns about it being bribed or moved (it's not a unit)

Con:
* might need to rework any fortress-related code to allow generalization

                Joseph