Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?
From: Florian Klein <kleinf@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:26:13 +0200

Sam BC wrote:
> 2) A project being started elsewhere (eg Sourceforge) to do the same

Not necessarily the same - it could be a "cousin" of Freeciv. Similar
technology, similar ideas, but different strategy.

> With sufficient people (like 4-6) and a methodical approach, it would not be
> too difficult to keep up with changes, as long as each time something new
> appears it is examined, OO analysis made, and necessary classes and/or
> methods & properties determined, in short order.

First we need to get it playable...

I'd suggest to not only change the programming language (BTW what about
Python? or several programming languages?) but to work on the
architecture as well - I'd like to see the "Freeciv client/server model"
outside a gaming environment, e. g. for distributed or offline
(e-mail-communicating) applications or "thin client" frontends. Probably
an extension to the GNOME architecture.

> Maybe we could get started?

We should create a wishlist or a mailinglist for first, to collect ideas
and suggestions. No need to hurry, current Freeciv is a great and
addictive game. To take all we've learned from it and create a similar
game ("Freeworld"?) is quite a challenge. Some future both can re-merge
of course.

But I don't quite like reinventing the wheel once more whereas Freeciv
trying to follow Civ[1,2] and the new project following Freeciv...

Just my idea... :-)
DocSnyder.