Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Cameron Morland <cjmorland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: OO model for Freeciv?
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:17:43 -0500

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 05:43:34PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> But freeciv can be made faster
> my suggestions :
> - put all reusable stuff (like displaying gtk map) to shared libraries
>   little modules are easier to optimize, and if some other project will
>   reuse them, there would be big chance that these libs get more manpower
>   on optimalizations
> - use remote procedure calls and shared memory to simplify and speed-up
>   client-server interaction

        The most effective way to make Freeciv faster would be to rewrite
find_something_to_kill() and friends.  Typically, these functions iterate
over the entire map.  That's wrong.  The AI should have some idea of a
preferred continent(s) for waging war.  Of course, the Single Large
Continent games will still be broken by this.
        Player-to-player games right now shouldn't ever be CPU-bound.
Maybe if you use a *lot* of GOTO-ed units, they could be.
        Games involving an AI frequently are.  On my Sparcstation 10,
running a 12-ai 200x100 map from 1900AD to 1950AD can take a full day.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."