Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] copyright, again (was: isometric tileset screenshots)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] copyright, again (was: isometric tileset screenshots)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:13:49 +0200

> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 03:21:17PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > They look very much like Civ II, even the text; so much so that I started
> > > to wonder if they don't infringe on copyrights ...
> >
> > You can't copyright the layout of a game board.

Just to be pedantic: you can't copyright anything.  By creating something
you (or the institution on whose behalf you created it) automatically
have copyright.

But this is beside the point.  My point is, I wasn't referring to the
layout, but to the actual graphics.  For some info on
the copyright status of computer images, see

  http://www.rbs2.com/copyr.htm

--
Reinier