Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized improvemants (PR#243)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized improvemants (PR#243)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:56:43 +1000 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> The problem is that a patch must be complete.  It can't leave the CVS code
> in a dysfunctional state.

Agreed.  And it should be possible for each of several steps to
still be functional (and ideally, give identical results for the
standard rulesets, eg regression testing), though this may involve
some extra work (including writing some transitional code which
doesn't end up in the final product).

Actually, I'd be more confident with something like this as a
single big patch if it could pass regression tests, such as giving
identical results for all-AI games.  (Or does it?  I haven't actually
tried, but suspect not.)  I found this very useful when doing the
first generation ruleset patches.  (Though it also tends to uncover
subtle bugs in the "current" codebase, which can be time consuming
to track down.)

Regards,
-- David