Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomat menu popup on goto

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomat menu popup on goto
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:30:38 +1000 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> Attached is a patch which does the following:

(Gui-independent process_caravan_arrival(), and similar
process_diplomat_arrival() and related.)

Great, thanks!

> I didn't test this exhaustively; it could still easily contain a few bugs.

I haven't actually tested, but from reading the code:
(testing by inspection ;-)

-- Still missing capabilities handling (easiest to be mandatory).

-- Notice in caravan "while (genlist_size)" loop, there is a return
after popup_caravan_dialog(), and the dialog functions then re-call
process_caravan_arrival() to do more.  (The "while" is just for
caravans which may have died etc.  I think the diplomat code should
do the same: ie, return after popup_diplomat_dialog() (patch already
does the re-call stuff).

+      if (diplomat_can_do_action(punit, DIPLOMAT_ANY_ACTION,
+                                pcity->x, pcity->y)) {
+       popup_diplomat_dialog(punit, pcity->x, pcity->y);
+      } else {
+       append_output_window(_("Game: You don't have enough movement left."));
+      }

-- Also, the "movement left" case seems wrong to me: its what the
old client-side code had, but now shouldn't the server only send
the diplo action if there is movement left?  In which case if
diplomat_can_do_action() fails it could be for some other reason
(eg, the city was conquered by the player in the meantime)
(so in similar case caravan code silently ignores).

-- David