Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:11:53 +0200

> Perhaps two types of tunnels are in order -- a 'primitive'
> tunnel, available at a tech level similar to what we're at
> in the Real World now, which is limited in length and is
> quite expensive, and 'advanced' tunnels which work like the
> Civ:CTP tunnels, but require a more advanced level of
> technology.

I am still opposed to tunnels, and I am still not producing
any codes to implement how I would like it to be done:

  http://www.freeciv.org/~hop/ideas/wishlist

section 3.2.2.  It is a more detailed proposal to implement
your suggestion.

I like the idea of civilizations becoming gradually more apt at
building bridges: perhaps the maximum length of bridges could increase
with literacy? And the chunnel wonder would give unlimited length
(still with the same expense, of course).

Incidentally, the building of large bridges and land reclaims from open sea
are recent inventions (as explained in the wishlist above).

--
Reinier