Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug #202 : transporter content shown instead of the tr

To: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue.kristensen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug #202 : transporter content shown instead of the transport
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:33:14 +0000

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 02:21:41PM +0100, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Sebastian Bauer wrote:
> > Hi Thue
> >
> > On 15-Mär-00, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> > > Ok - new patch attacked.  To make sure the attacking and
> > > defending units were shown on top set_unit_focus_no_center was
> > > previously used, as it had the sideeffect of putting the
> > > focus_no_center'ed unit first in the genlist, and so picked by
> > > get_visible_unit (HACK!). I introduced 2 new pointers in
> > > control.h (is that the estetically right place?) named
> > > punit_attacking and punit_defending that when non-NULL point to
> > > units that should be shown on top, and handle them in
> > > get_visible_unit.  I included and tested the code for gui-xaw
> > > beside gui-gtk.
> >
> > I don't how much complicated it is (and I still not have looked at
> > the recent fog of war changes) but wouldn't it be better if this
> > handled in the civserver?  I mean not to send the unit infos which
> > are in a transporter (and remove the units if they enter a
> > transporter unit). This is IMO the right thing and how it should
> > be at the end of all.
>
> You could, but I would personally prefer allowing the client to show
> what units are in an enemy stack (for gameplay). This would also be
> an easier (cleaner code) solution. You might say that this will make
> it too easy for the defender, but fog of war makes it less
> powerfull.

I'm with Thue on this one.  I think that the client has long lacked
the ability to show the whole contents of an enemy stack (not
necessarily transporter, any stack) and as long as fog of war is
enabled, I don't see this being too powerful.  It seems eminently
reasonable to me that if you're in range to see a stack of units you
can see them all.  I could see some realism arguments saying that this
wouldn't apply to ships but it doesn't seem too bad, especially with
the fog of war.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable