Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: War/Peace: I already have a patch!

To: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: War/Peace: I already have a patch!
From: Paul Thomas <Paul.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:10:56 +1100

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 02:29:21PM +0100, Arkadiusz Danilecki wrote:

>       I want to hear your opinion about few things before i will start
> to change code.

Before you start to change code, you may want to know that I've
already got a patch to do most of this.  I still need to test a number
of things, and certainly wouldn't consider it high enough quality to
submit for widespread testing just yet, but it's there and seems to
work.

Give me a couple of days to do some more tests, and I'll post the
patch here for everyone's consideration.

A few comments on my implementation:

>       int war_peace;
>       /* (the same way as embassy - 0 at n position means war
>           with n, 1 means peace) */

The states I allow are war, neutrality (the default), ceasefire (for a
number of turns; it counts down automatically), and alliance.
(There's also a special "no capability" state for unpatched clients or
servers.)

>       char *reputation;
>       /* it reflect our attitude to other civilisations. 0 means we hate
> them and want them all die. 255 means we love them want to be in eternal
> friendship. */

I've got a reputation mechanism similar to that from CivII.  I don't
have the CivII manual, though, so it's a bit of a stab in the dark.

>       If you will attack, if you are at peace, client should display
> ,,are you sure you want break peace'' dialog.

I have this.  (Or, at least, something similar: there's no dialog
box.)

> Then if you press ,,yes, wiped them out'' you decision could be
> overruled by senate.

The results I have -- again based on my memory of CivII -- are:
 * senate overrules; or
 * senate disagrees, but nothing happens; or
 * senate dissolves, and you fall into revolution

> Now explanation for pacifism :

I don't have anything resembling pacifism, but it's an interesting
idea.  Certainly it'd make large-scale wars hard to carry on, which
may serve to balance things a little.

> 1) score. Additional pts for peace periods?

Does someone know the formula?  (Does it even make sense in a
multiplayer game, since everyone will get the points?)

> 3) changes in ai so it would be possible to be at peace with ai

I haven't even begun to look at this.

-- paul