[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Valutas patch

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Valutas patch
From: Stig Erik Sandoe <stig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:59:34 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> > > Oki, kroners kroners kronors.
> >
> > No, 'kroner' is the plural form in Norway and Denmark and 'kronor'
> > is the plural form in Sweden.  No 'kroners'.  The singular form is
> > 'krone' in Norway and Denmark and I think it is that in Sweden as
> > well. (correct me if I'm wrong)
> >
> > How about adding the singular and plural form to the nationset and
> > let them be translated? (ie. the english 'pound' is 'pund' in
> > norwegian)
>
> Only plural will be needed.

What if you have just one krone/gold/pound/whatever then?  If you're
going to add a patch for it, do it properly. Add singular and
plural forms.

> Probably krones will be used.

Why on earth are you going to rename the currency into a word that
doesn't exist and have no real meaning?  Most foreigners are quite
able to use the name of the local currency and I have yet to meet a
foreigner who invents new names for currency in other countries.
"Umm, I know the americans call their currency dollar but I kindof
like to call them 'dolls', let's put that in Freeciv".

If the currency-patch is serious, do the job properly.  And if
you're uncertain, ask people in those countries what is the right
way to do it.

(The english translations of krone and kron[e|o]r is crown and
 crowns and this is how I have seen it translated in the UK at
 least, and I have also seen the local name used)

> It is already marked to be translated and i18n code for
> it is inside.

Then update it properly.

Stig Erik Sandoe     stig@xxxxxxxxx    http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/