[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Beserk autosettlers, connectors that don't

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Beserk autosettlers, connectors that don't
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:48:13 -0200

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 10:52:13AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I've noticed that as the game progresses I tend to spend a lot of time
> micromanaging settlers and Engineers.  I've looked at the possibility of using
> autosettle to combat this problem, but several times now I've caught my
> autosettlers doing tremendously *stupid* things (leveling forests in favor of
> land that produces less shields, or -- my favorite -- converting an irrigated
> desert with an oasis (4 or 5 food, 1 shield IIRC) to a plains (2 food, 1
> shield))  Could an option be implemented to get autosettlers to stick to
> "obvious" things -- building roads everywhere and irrigation on
> plains+grassland?

Mine almost made me lose a game because they decided to convert
the whole world to forest (perhaps on account on pollution) and
then my cities started to starve. :-D

I think a good option for a future version is what was started
by connect: let's call it, ``s/e macromanagement''.

The idea is that you mark an area, and say, ``please convert
all this tundra+artic into grassland, then irrigate, build road
and rail'' or something like that. If one of the tiles happen
to be forest, they will not destroy it, but they _will_ build
road/rail because that fits the model they have.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.