[Freeciv-Dev] Beserk autosettlers, connectors that don't

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Beserk autosettlers, connectors that don't
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:52:13 -0500

  I've noticed that as the game progresses I tend to spend a lot of time
micromanaging settlers and Engineers.  I've looked at the possibility of using
autosettle to combat this problem, but several times now I've caught my
autosettlers doing tremendously *stupid* things (leveling forests in favor of
land that produces less shields, or -- my favorite -- converting an irrigated
desert with an oasis (4 or 5 food, 1 shield IIRC) to a plains (2 food, 1
shield))  Could an option be implemented to get autosettlers to stick to
"obvious" things -- building roads everywhere and irrigation on
plains+grassland?

  One other thing: the connect feature is wonderful, and really does serve
the purpose of reducing micromanagement.  However, a little more intelligence
in the paths chosen would be nice :)  In particular, when building roads before
Bridge Building is discovered, Settlers should avoid rivers -- I've had several
cases where a road was unfinished because the Settler didn't move a square to
the left before reaching the river -- or, once, where the Settler actually went
*out of its way* to cross a river (go figure :) )  There may be similar issues
with irrigation (taking the direct route instead of the one that draws water
through the entire path), but I'm not sure.

   Thanks,
  Daniel