[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cost of wonders

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cost of wonders
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:35:46 -0500

Paul Zastoupil (paulz@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> > Pyramids                200->400

Only because it never expires.  Other than that, it's not really all
that spectacular.  (I used to like it a lot, but I've changed my opinion
since then.  I'd rather have 6-and-2/3 more Chariots.  But that could vary
for those who don't play with my settings (hard, set aifill 6 or more).)

> > Great Library           300->400

This one's only worth building to keep it out of the hands of other
people.  Ideally you want to be the fore-runner in the tech race, not
playing catch-up.

I never get a chance to build this one anyway; the AIs zoom to it.  I
get any techs I missed by conquering the AI cities. :-)

> > Leonardo's Workshop     400->600
>
> In most games (i.e. ones I have played, and watched on
> civserver.freeciv.org), Leonardo's isn't worth the 400 it now costs.

If it worked as in Civ2, it would be much more powerful.  In Civ2,
it updates *all* your units at once, not just one per turn.

It can be made worthwhile in Freeciv, but only if you plan your game
around it.  (Stockpile Warriors and Horsemen and let them be upgraded
to Musketeers/Riflemen and Dragoons/Cavalry; research Explosives early
for Settler->Engineer upgrades.)  And you lose veteran status on the
upgraded units.

> > J.S. Bach's Cathedral   400->600

No comment.

> > A.Smith's Trading Co.   400->600

This one's really nice for me, when I can get it; I usually play in
Monarchy/Communism, so I need the cash.  In a Republic/Democracy it's
not as critical, I don't think.

> > And no 1 :
> > Michelangelo's Chapel
> >
> > variant 1 : cost = 600, but will still be too strong
> > variant 2 : same as in mpciv1 : double effect of cathedrals

Not so important for me; Communism's double martial law combined with a
policy of keeping cities from getting too big means I can get by with just
1-2 weak units and a Temple.  For bigger cities I can use entertainers.
I usually don't even need a Luxury setting.

What about Hoover Dam?  That one's pretty powerful if you ask me,
especially if it's empire-wide and not just continent-wide.

In Civ1 (but *not* in Civ2) Women's Suffrage is the game-breaker.
It allows you to go to war under Republic with no unit-out-of-city
unhappiness.  (In Civ2, the Women's Suffrage seems to be vestigial,
with no useful abilities whatsoever.)

Finally, Magellan's is a must-have.  Movement rates of +2 on ships
are *potent*.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers