[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Glaciars

To: dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Glaciars
From: Anecdoter@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:56:17 EST

In a message dated 1/4/00 12:54:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The scale is wrong.  One freeciv square represents a _large_
>  area.  For most maps realistic glaciers would correspond to
>  one or few squares only.

    There have been some rather large glaciers in the past.  During the last
ice age, a single glacier covered all of canada and most of the upper
midwest.  I think there is a miscommunication, perhaps the original poster
meant an ice age - that is at least how I took it.  Maybe the
miscommunication is between myself and the original poster... ;->

>  Also historically it seems a bit iffy.  How many historical
>  civilisations were disrupted or threatened by glaciers??

    That is true, however, how many  civilizations were around when the last
glaciers were active?  The last glaciers receeded roughly 11000 years before
the advent of written records.   We have been fortunate enough not to have
had an ice age for quite some time.   However, some civ game worlds may not
be quite so lucky.

>  Now an ice age or other global climate change (other than
>  current pollution-induced global warming), that could be
>  interesting...   (Or really _fast_ continental drift :-)

I agree, they would definetly be challenges that empires would have to face.
Also, it would an extra dimension to the game so players could worry about
something else other than destroying each other.