[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Glaciars

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Glaciars
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 15:12:22 EST

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 Anecdoter@xxxxxxx wrote:

Why does a game based on randomly generated maps have to be realistic? Each map is its own unique world. Just because our planet is between ice ages does not mean all of the freeciv planets are as well. Some planets could be exiting an ice age, where as others would be beginning them. If we were to take points off for realism, we would have to throw the whiole freeciv time scale out the window, because 1.) no human being can live 9000 years, thus no human could rule for 9000 years 2.) no human civilization has been around for 9000 years.

The above argument is specious because:

1.) Just because Freeciv uses randomly generated map doesn't mean the rules are random or arbitrary. On the contrary, the game closely mirrors the historical development of human civilization during the past few thousand years and into the possible future. Nearly every aspect of the game, especially all the rulesets, are grounded in reality. This is no SMAC. Not yet anyway.

2.) However, 100% realism is not possible, or even desirable, because there is something called gameplay. Too much realism makes a boring game, I think we can agree on that much. Approximations and exceptions should be and indeed have been made to make the game playable and enjoyable, and they can be found at every level of the game, from the effects of various forms of government down to the movement points of various units. All the rulesets are approximations of reality.

3.) Although the rules are approximate, they are NOT arbitrary. The trick is to make them as realistic as possible while keeping the game playable. Of course we have to take points off for (un)realism, because realism has always been an important aspect of the game. Unless there is added benefit for gameplay, there is no point in sacrificing realism.

4.) Specifically, randomly generated maps are used because a few realistic scenarios do not provide enough variety. Furthermore, a realistic earth map is very unbalanced for different nations. For this reason, different map generators are developed to allow a more "fair" game. Nevertheless, the resulting world looks remarkably earth-like, especially on gen1, with large continents, small islands, mountains, rivers, deserts near the equator, icecaps on the poles, etc., etc. Yes, "each map is its own unique world". But think how funny it is that they all look so much like the earth. And they all have the same human species! What's the chance of that?

5.) The Immortal Ruler is arguably the biggest example of unrealism in the game. Yeah, "no human being can live 9000 years". But that's easy to fix. Just change the name of the ruler at appropriate points during the game, if you can accept that you may take on different roles (i.e. different rulers of the same nation at different times) during the course of the game. No, do NOT rush out and try to implement this, you clever developers. I am just trying to show that this is not a violation of realism at all. It is just an exception/approximation made for the sake of gameplay. Using it to argue against realism is simply not valid.

6.) Yeah, "no human civilization has been around for 9000 years", but here we are extrapolating into the future, again in favor of gameplay because it is indeed possible for the game to continue beyond the year 2000 (the Y2K bug notwithstanding). They even threw in a space race to make it more interesting, although space travel is not yet practical. Again, it's the GAMEPLAY.

7.) So, to beat the dead horse one more time: Yes, Virginia, realism has EVERYTHING to do with Freeciv despite the fact that a.) it uses randomly generated maps b.) it features immortals as rulers of civs c.) it could run until Y5K d.) etc. Thank you very much.

I was picturing a low possibilty for glaciers - maybe a 1% chance of
happening per game, if and only if certain conditions would be met. Of course, it would also be a server option. This way, players would not have to worry about glaciers all the time. On the rare occasion they did appear, well then, they would be a new, unexpected problem for the players to face. The players would have to deal with the changes cicumstances or be destroyed - just like in real life ;->

Just like in real life? What a concept! I thought you didn't care too much about realism.

All kidding aside, I am sure you can now see that you are concerned about realism yourself as well. Indeed, when I said the time scale was wrong, I meant the time period between ice ages are much longer than the length of civs in Freeciv, therefore the probability of an ice age happening during the life of a civ is very low (1% is probably close to reality). Moreover, the movement of the glaciers is extremely slow in real life, so it would probably take longer than the entire length of a Freeciv game for the ice age to occur or recede. That's why I said an ice age scenario is not very realistic.

But of course, we can accept an accelerated version of a "mini" ice age if it is interesting enough gameplay-wise. As far as I can see, an ice age scenario is similar to global warming in that they are both global, but there are two important differences:

1.) global warming is a direct result of player action, i.e. industrial pollution, therefore it is possible to prevent it by reducing pollution, while ice age will be spontaneous and out of the payers' control. You think you have heard enough cursing about barbarians, just imagine the frustration as glaciers bearing down on your cities and you can't do jack about them.

2.) as Greg Wooledge pointed out:"Glaciers would give an unfair advantage to players who happened to start closer to the equator", while global warming affect the whole map more or less equally. This has the potential of unbalancing the game even more.

For the above reasons, I don't think glaciers will provide better gameplay. Plus they are unrealistic, therefore it is probably best to leave them out of the game and use the resources to implement other, more realistic aspect of natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods and hurricanes. After all, they are much more common and more "fair" to the players.

But that's just me.

Mike