Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: sebauer: Improved citystyle graphics ofthe trident...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: sebauer: Improved citystyle graphics ofthe trident...
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:51:01 +1100 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> At 1999/12/26 14:46 , Sebastian Bauer wrote:
> >But should we really activate the city styles gfx for the engels tileset?
> >IMO they don't look so good (at least they don't fit in the environment)
> >and one of the advances of the tile spec system is that we needn't to view
> >these graphics if they don't look good, while in the other tileset we can
> >see it.
>
> Umm.  Okay.  I don't have a strong preference on this point.  Other opinions?

I agree with Sebastian that we shouldn't activate these in the
Engels tileset until we have better graphics for that set.

> This brings up the question: should we abandon the Engels tileset entirely?
>  What do others think?

We need a www.freeciv.org poll on this issue :-)

The revised trident graphics in Jeff's cities-graphics-2.diff
look ok to me.  Minor points:

- I would prefer the occupied flags be kept simple, like the
"standard" trident flag, so that they are easy to see against
various different backgrounds, and so they don't resemble any
"real" national flags, since they are used by all nations
(though I guess the existing flags are ok on this point).

- The postmodern cities could do with a bit of tweaking: the
largest city icons occur when size >= 10, and the extra digit
on the size display obliterates the "tower", making it not look
so much like a "big" city.  (This is probably a bit true of the
others as well, but less so.)  Also the leftmost building overlaps
a bit with the occupied flag.  (Maybe the cities could all be
moved downwards a bit?  It doesn't matter if part of the front
of the buildings are obscured by the city wall, and may then
obscure less of the nation flag.)

-- David