Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cannot compile 1.8.1 from RPM (PR#203)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cannot compile 1.8.1 from RPM (PR#203)
From: Miles Lane <miles@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 01:22:01 -0800

It turned out that I could compile both 1.8.1 and 1.9.0 when I ran
"./configure --prefix=/usr" to configure the build rather than using
the documented method.  The documented method was compiling with
Xaw3d enabled and ignoring my GTK+ installation.  The builds were
dying in the Xaw3d stuff for some reason.  The builds succeed when
compiling with GTK+ support instead.

Regarding the "Building from RPM":  you can perform a build from a
source RPM by running "rpm -U <rpm file>" and then "rpm -b <path to
the 'SPEC' file>".  This basically is the same as untarring source
and then compiling, but I think there is more error checking built
into the RPM process (I'm not sure of this, though).

        Miles