Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv and a tournament

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv and a tournament
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:46:37 -0800

Kevin Breit <battery841@xxxxxxx> has presented me with the idea of
running a freeciv tournament.  I know that there are a lot of logistical
problems associated with this kind of idea.  Some of this has already
been discussed.

One of the key problems I see is identifying players.  It would be nice
to have some sort of id for each client.  Maybe we could generate a key,
and make servers aware of the keys.  This could be done easily on
www.freeciv.org and then storing that key with user information
(something non-invasive, a uid that they pick would be enough) in a
database. Of course I wouldn't want the system to require
www.freeciv.org... so just keeping a flat file somewhere would be fine.
This way when we do impliment some sort of scoring system (see my other
point) we could keep a record of who scored what and tie that into a
ranking system.

Scoring is another problem.  The score presented by the /score command
rarely reflects who is going to actually win the game.  Even in games
that I have won (these are few and far between :) I was way behind in
the scoring right up until the end.  How can we create a "scoring"
system that would reflect a persons skills better?  I like the idea of
Victory Points suggested by jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, but I would
like to see more discussion of it.

Comments please?
--