Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament

To: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament
From: jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:58:06 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> Well I was thinking of this in more of a general sense, not just to work
> in a tournament.  If we could identify a user as themselves, and no one
> else could impersonate them, we could create a real ranking system.
> Something like a .civclient.id, they could copy this to all the machines
> that they play from and the client would present this on connection and
> they could be authenticated as to their id.  We could then just let the
> ranking run all the time.

I didn't put that together as well as I could've -- space constraints.

The way it SHOULD'VE been put together was, there's a game field -and- a
tourney field (flag)?

So you can run any ordinary game you want on the server, and just not
throw the tourney flag.

And that file I was talking about is the whole and entire history of every
game ever reported to that metaserver.

It'd have EVERY GAME. So you could easily come up with ranking stats
across a period of time, or general average, or just look at a particular
tourney field entry and sum up tournaments scores from that.

The file couldn't really get unmanageably large; the creation of one line
represents the work of several hours. I suppose, though, you might just
have them cut off monthly and be archived. They couldn't be -too- big
gzipped...

If you create clientids, you might consider creating server ids, too, so
you could track which servers are reporting which games...

Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>