Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament

To: jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:34:44 -0800

jesdynf wrote:

> I didn't put that together as well as I could've -- space constraints.
>
> The way it SHOULD'VE been put together was, there's a game field -and- a
> tourney field (flag)?
>
> So you can run any ordinary game you want on the server, and just not
> throw the tourney flag.
>
> And that file I was talking about is the whole and entire history of every
> game ever reported to that metaserver.
>
> It'd have EVERY GAME. So you could easily come up with ranking stats
> across a period of time, or general average, or just look at a particular
> tourney field entry and sum up tournaments scores from that.
>
> The file couldn't really get unmanageably large; the creation of one line
> represents the work of several hours. I suppose, though, you might just
> have them cut off monthly and be archived. They couldn't be -too- big
> gzipped...
>
> If you create clientids, you might consider creating server ids, too, so
> you could track which servers are reporting which games...

The problem with this is that it depends on the metasever.  The current
metaserver is kind of a kludge and hasn't really been changes since
version 1.6.?(? I think).

But I like your server id's as well for when the report to the
metaserver (a new one hopefully).

Reinier Post is the only person I have talked to that has put any work
in on this, but he is really busy and I wouldn't want to tax his time
any more. (Unfortunately I am rather busy too, planning a wedding seems
to be a huge time commitment, go figure :)
--
Paul Zastoupil