Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament

To: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament
From: jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:44:05 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> The problem with this is that it depends on the metasever.  The current
> metaserver is kind of a kludge and hasn't really been changes since
> version 1.6.?(? I think).

One of the reasons I never really understood the idea of the metaserver
until 1.8 or so was because I couldn't find a single line of source to
deal with it. Shouldn't we have the metaserver source in the FreeCiv code
tree? Not everybody NEEDS the metaserver, and it probably shouldn't be
built by default, but if it was just IN the tree, people might start
hacking it.

Maybe it oughta go in? Maybe under, say, "make metaserver" or even a
special configure flag, "--with-metaserver" so that normally run
configures won't even make the Makefiles for the mserver.

> Reinier Post is the only person I have talked to that has put any work
> in on this, but he is really busy and I wouldn't want to tax his time
> any more. (Unfortunately I am rather busy too, planning a wedding seems
> to be a huge time commitment, go figure :)

I can well imagine... I'm only a middling-fair C hacker -- my best work is
in code maintenance and debugging -- but I might give this server work a
small shot...

Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>